Sometimes, when entertaining adults of legal drinking age, it’s nice to offer something other than a beer, bottle of wine, or scotch on the rocks.
For such occasions, I went over to Speakeasy to learn how to make a proper Old Fashioned cocktail. Here’s the quick breakdown of what Andrew Reed, bartender extraordinaire, taught us.
OLD FASHIONED BOURBON COCKTAIL:
- place one orange slice and two maraschino cherries into mixing glass
- add 3 dashes of Bitters (Andrew insists Angostura bitters are the best)
- add a couple of sugar cubes or two dashes of simple syrup
- muddle (read: mash) like you mean it
- add ice but leave some room for…
- 1.5 ounces of your favorite bourbon (fun fact: you can get crazy and switch the bourbon out for gin and serve up a Gin Old Fashioned)
- a touch of sparkling soda for the Fun of Fizz
- gently slosh (read: do not shake vigorously lest you bruise the bourbon)
- Serve and smile as you see fit
But wait, there’s one more! Stacy London herself introduced me to the ever impressive yet super easy bubbly cocktail; St. Germain & Champagne! Sub sparkling white wine as you see fit. The fine folks at Speakeasy amp it up my adding an orange peel, though I suspect Andrew would prefer I call it by another name, it’s an orange peel and it absolutely takes the cocktail to the NEXT. LEVEL.
ST. GERMAIN AND BUBBLES recipe per Speakeasy:
Ok, you’re good to go with TWO super easy (but super lovely) cocktail recipes ready to go. Be sure and show off your handywork by tagging #StatesmanSocial. In the meantime, drink responsibly and you’re welcome y’all!